My parents are currently redecorating a sitting room in their house and got all new furniture but couldn’t find a coffee table that they really liked and would work in that room. They eventually asked Jack and I to make one that would go with their other furniture and would fit their space. We took a few ideas from different tables they liked and came up with this one!
Thankfully, Jack knows how to weld so we weren’t stuck doing an all wood coffee table. He used 1 1/2″ x 1 1/2″ pieces of square steel tubing for the base. He first welded four pieces into a square for the top. My iPhone photography skills were tested because I know you can really hurt your eyes if you look at someone welding so I took the picture below without looking. You’re welcome, mom.
Once that square was done, he welded the legs on and used a rafter square to make sure the legs were attached at a 90 degree angle.
After the legs were attached, we thought it needed something else so he welded on pieces to the legs going all the way around the table, again, using a rafter square.
When all of the welds were done, he used an angle grinder to smooth the welds and then used 120 grit sandpaper on an orbital sander to touch them up.
After all of the steel pieces were welded together to form the base, he welded on some brackets to each side so that there would be something to screw the tabletop into.
We spray painted 2 coats of black satin and 2 coats of clear polyurethane to finish up the base.
The tabletop is made out of maple 1″x4″s. We glued them all together and used a biscuit joiner to secure the pieces together.
We then cut the one piece down to form a 36″ x 36″ square.
And then sanded it like crazy to get it super smooth. 120 grit, then 150 grit, and lastly with 220 grit sandpaper.
My parents just got a new buffet table/wine bar that we wanted to match the color to. We first put on a conditioner before the stain and it turned out way too light. You can see our test piece without the conditioner compared to how the whole thing turned out after putting down the conditioner first.
So Jack resanded it all down to get the stain off and started over with the stain first. We used a red mahogany stain, then an ebony stain, and finally a mocha gel stain, all made by Minwax. Then we added 5 coats of Minwax Polycrylic as a clear coat on top with light sanding in between each coat.
We brought it to my parent’s house and the color actually matched pretty well!
I think it turned out great. And thanks to my hubby for pulling out his welding skills because there’s no way I could have done that 🙂 Now my parents will just have to decide whether they want to keep it in this room as they finish redecorating or bring it up to their cabin!