The mudroom lockers are done and I LOVE them! It is so convenient to have them right off the garage and the drawers, cabinets, and baskets make it easy to throw things in there and have it still look nice and tidy 🙂
After we got all the walls put up, painted, and the floor installed, we started on the bench part of the wall of lockers. The base is made out of MDF and the pieces are cut to 19.5” x 18.5.” Each piece is spaced 22 inches from each other to match up with the lockers above it. We wanted to make sure there was enough room to put shoes underneath and also have a drawer for each locker under the bench.
The top of the bench is made out of engineered poplar made to look like oak. Menards was all out of oak plywood so we figured we would try the engineered stuff and we actually ended up liking it better than the solid oak like we used on the stairs. The bench is 8′ x 20.” After it was attached with wood glue and nails, we used more wood glue and a pin nailer to attach the oak edging along all of the edges. We stained it in dark walnut and after it was dry, we covered it before working on the rest of the lockers so we didn’t spill paint or glue on it.
For the actual locker part, we used the same MDF. We screwed it into the wall for the backing of the lockers. It goes all the way up to the ceiling and is 8 feet long.
The locker dividers are 99” x 14.5” and attached to the back panel by cutting dados in the back panel. We added two shelves on top which are made out of the same engineered poplar plywood. They are 22″ x 14.5.” The locker face frames are made out of pine. We primed everything twice and then painted it with 3 coats of Sherwin Williams Origami White and 2 coats of Minwax polycrylic. (And yes, Howie is hanging out on the shelf in the picture below)
We added rope lighting into the main locker part and the shelves. Jack originally thought I wanted both shelves open so the lighting goes all the way to the top but I decided I wanted cabinet doors on the top row so now those lights are hidden unless you open the cabinet. Sorry for the extra work, Jack. 🙂
At this point, we thought the lockers needed some type of texture so of course I took any opportunity I could to get some shiplap in my house. After watching Fixer Upper marathons, I couldn’t help but think I needed it. It doesn’t really go with the style of my house, but I figured it would be okay in this one spot and I am so glad we added it. We went the easy “fake” shiplap way and just used more MDF but trimmed of a little on each edge to give the little gap between each piece. Each piece is glued and nailed to the MDF behind it.
Jack built the drawer boxes and the drawer and cabinet doors like he did for our entertainment center.
Then we just added hooks and it is good to go!
This is probably the most efficient use of space that we’ve created since moving in last year. We finished it at a perfect time so it is all ready for the coats and boots that a Minnesota winter (okay, maybe Fall too) brings!