Happy May! With the nicer weather that we are going to be having the next few days, Jack and I will be doing LOTS of yard work. I don’t really mind it as long as I can get some sun! But since we had rain just about every day last week, Jack and I were confined to the garage and ended up making a pool cue rack to go along with our pool table that we refinished last summer.
I have to admit, I was very anti-pool table when Jack first brought up the idea. I didn’t think we had anywhere good to put it and it wouldn’t get used. But when Jack found one on Craigslist for $100, I decided to go along with it. And I’m so glad I did! The people who were selling this pool table were moving the next day and just needed to get it out of the house. So lucky for us, Jack and his brother went to pick it up for a steal. This is what it looked like:
Not really the most attractive thing I’ve ever seen. We wanted to refinish it to go with the rest of the house (although surprisingly we didn’t paint it white). We first had to take off the pockets and felt, which was already off from having to disassemble it when it got moved. Then we had to sand all of the yellow oak. After that, we used a black oil based paint to refinish it. We did 3 coats to cover up the wood grain.
Then Jack got new gray felt from Peter’s Billiards, which ending up costing more than the table itself, and reinstalled it on the table top and bumpers. We also got new black pockets to replace the old brown ones that had tassels.
For the inlays along the edges, I wanted something sparkly or diamond looking so we got some jewel stickers from Michaels and glued those on.
The jewels are my favorite part. Probably Jack’s least favorite part but at least he has a pool table now 🙂
We also made a pool cue rack which is pretty simple. Jack’s grandpa gave him a bunch of extra wood, and a few nice pieces of walnut that looked awesome so we just cut two pieces of the walnut long enough to fit all of the cues we have, which is about 12 inches and about 1 1/2 inches wide. The wood was not straight or flat so we ran it through the joiner that was also given to Jack by his grandpa.
We measured out where the cues would fit evenly across the rack to mark where the holes should be drilled.
On one of the pieces, we drilled holes all of the way through so the tops of the pool cues would fit through. On the other piece, we only drilled part way so that the bottom of the pool cues would rest in them.
We used a Minwax Polyurethane to give it a satin finish. You can see below how the bottom of the pool cues fit right into the bottom part of the rack without going all the way through.
It also adds a little something to the walls since I haven’t been able to find any artwork I really like yet and the walls are looking pretty bare in this room.
So that’s it! I love how the pool table turned out and you can’t beat that price. I am officially pro-pool table now so I guess that means I should probably start playing!